Thursday, May 23, 2013

Throwback Thursday! The Christmas Killer

Back in my youth, I read books like those by Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine, involving ghosts, haunted dresses, stalker girlfriends, and serial killers. I preferred the serial killer ones, which seemed less cliched and less spooky. Mainly, these books came from the library and were quickly read and forgotten. One of the few scary books that I actually bought was Patricia Windsor's The Christmas Killer. Why, I know not. To find out why, I reread while visiting my parents last month.
I am still not sure why I bought the book. Maybe I had read it already, and wanted to do so again and again. Most likely, it caught my eye (c'mon, a Christmas serial killer!) and I got it at a book fair or similar.
Windsor's story is simply enough. Rose, a teenager who takes dance lessons, has a twin brother, with whom she used to share dreams. When girls in the area start disappearing in December and showing up murdered, her brother begins acting weird. She begins dreaming of the girls, and the chapters from the perspective of the murder show that he dreams about her. The mystery and identity of the killer come out, but not before Rose is accused of witchcraft and almost murdered. Nothing too unusual, but nothing bad. There is a bit of looking into the causes of the killer's psychosis via the switching perspective. Rose's dreams about the murdered girls are actually frightening, while the big twist is no more predictable than any other book of this type. For students who like being scared, but are beyond Goosebumps, this book should work.

No comments:

Post a Comment