Friday, May 10, 2013

The Tragedy Paper-POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

I'll attempt to summarize and review the book without major spoilers, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Every time I have attempted to review this book, I got more and more worked up, until I was going to my husband in the other room about every five minutes. It got so whenever he saw me, he'd say, "And another thing!" He now knows the entire book and all its problems.
 Elizabeth LaBan's The Tragedy Paper concerns a senior at a private boarding school and the boy who lived in his room the previous year and left him an account of the tragic events that occurred to him and the girl he pined over that winter. Tim, who has albinism, says to current senior Duncan in the account that it can be the basis of his Tragedy Paper, a type of senior thesis that students must write for their English class. Over the school year, Duncan listens to the CDs Tim left, learning from them how to have a better senior year, and eventually how the mysterious tragedy of Tim came to happen.
While written well enough, the tragedy is not particularly tragic, simply unfortunate. The villain of the book is not particularly villainous or even plotting against Tim, just a jerky rich kid who treats everyone insensitively. The lessons Duncan learns from Tim aren't actually profound. I don't agree with the analysis (clumsily laid out in a discussion between Duncan and his English teacher) that Tim has a tragic flaw, or what it is.Most of the problems in his life are simply an exaggerated version of what every teenager goes through. He feels embarrassed about his appearance and standing out. He feels like an outsider with few friends. He is upset when people are unfair. He makes some dumb decisions, hiding what he perceives to be flaws, and it causes a major problem for him.
I just can't understand why this book is getting so many accolades. It's fine, but overall, it's about uninteresting, unsympathetic teenagers who don't really have big problems, so they create them. This is the most irritating book I have read in at least six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment