Friday, April 12, 2013

The Scorpio Races

When I saw one of Maggie Stiefvater's books on a list of award honoree's (either Newbery Honor or Virginia Reader's Choice finalist), I sighed and put it on my list of books to read, but not happily. I had read Shiver and decided not to read any of its sequels, despite my usual need to know how it ends. I was pleasantly surprised with at least the idea and plot of The Scorpio Races, even though I didn't particularly like the book.
Stiefvater wrote this book about two teenagers on an Irish island whose surrounding sea is populated by carnivorous, vicious water horses, inspired by Irish, Manx, and Scots folklore. These horses become aggressive in the fall, coming on land and attacking (mainly livestock). At the their peak time of aggression, island men trap, train, and then race the water horses in the major event of the year. The story centers around two orphans, a boy who wants to win the water horse he's ridden to victory for four years, and a girl who needs to save her family's home, who alternate narration. Promising, yes?
Steifvater doesn't follow through with her promise. While the story should have been interesting, I skimmed through many sections. The plot was hidden among leaden dialogue; the characters were barely discernible; the action was boring. I actually enjoyed Shiver more than this book, so I doubt I will read any more of Stiefvater's work. What did please me is learning about the legend of the water horses, which I'll read more about--from other sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment